Wednesday, August 4

melone e vino


My Italian Grandfather used to eat his fruit soaked in wine after dinner and today, with a heat index of 107 degrees, his famous dessert was all I could think about.  I have a cantaloupe that's waited it's lifespan to be devoured alongside my two buck Chuck.  Of course, I've added some other frilly ingredients for good measure.

ingredients:

2 peaches

1 cantaloupe

rind of 1 lemon

1/3 cup honey

1 1/4 cups pinot grigio


handful of fresh thyme

instructions:


Bring wine to a boil in small saucepan; add honey and lemon rind.  Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat.  Place thyme sprigs in french press and cover with simple syrup.  Infuse for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.  Discard thyme after use.

Slice melon and peaches into bite size pieces.  Place in large mason jar or other serving dish.  Pour thyme infused wine mixture over fruit and chill.  Garnish with thyme leaves before serving.  Brilliant!


If you eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner I promise not to judge.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so why did I not know about grandpa's interesting dessert choice?
    I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri Rose IsaacsonAugust 5, 2010 at 3:01 AM

    Amy soooo DELIZIOSO!!! Thank you for this I look forward to making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm! That looks beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete