Monday, June 28

The Local Olive


Hello world!  It's very nice to meet you.

"Another blogger?"  In short, "Yes,  I've decided to join the ranks."  I've been working on my  first cookbook for several months and I'm excited to finally share my journey with you...

Now, most of the recipes are not mine...they are however a sampling of my Gram’s cooking expertise.  You see, Gram's cooking can be blamed for countless broken pant-buttons, licked-clean dishes and more boisterous conversations (some might consider it yelling, but that's up for debate) than I care to relive.  Essentially, documenting Gram's cooking is as much about capturing the essence of Italian livelihood, as it is about her unforgettable meals.

And now a personal disclaimer:  I'm not an authority of any kind  (except enjoying my Grandmother’s food). Gram has preserved the legacy of her Italian predecessors through her amazing meals and I’ve been inspired to share them with the world.  The purpose of my blog, the Local Olive, is to document my journey and share with you some tools for getting "back to the basics" and eating the way our Grandmother’s did by living off the land and eating local-seasonal foods.  I’m confident that if we refocus our attention back to eating fresh and healthy local food, “the good life” will inevitably follow suit.  And hopefully, we may also become inspired by the simpler things in life…like celebrating the seasons, traditions and the ones we love (dogs included).

Cheers!  x

9 comments:

  1. Amazing Grace! I love the look, and especially the girl in the picture! God bless you on your new journey daughter. I am so very proud of you, love seeing you follow your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, welcome, fellow blogger! I am loving your chic layout, especially the content. You're so right; traditions are essential, as they lend the fullness to life. And I can vouch that Grandma's cooking is beyond delish!

    You are speaking to my heart on this one...just came away from a weekend where we spent it in the kitchen, trying out new recipes from The Farm Chicks cookbook (can't wait until I can get my hand on a copy of yours!). It all began with homemade cinnamon rolls for my mama's birthday and got naughtier as the day progressed!

    The weekend left me feeling nourished from the inside-out; I have a feeling this little blog of yours will do the same. Best to you, my dear!

    P.S. Anything you have to say about the art of gnochhi making will be well-received by me...is there a trick for these little bites of heaven?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sadina!! This little project has been so much fun...and so fulfilling! It's true that with all of this cooking/baking, I feel more authentic as a human-being than I ever have. It truly is soul-nourishing.

    And actually, Sherri is the expert on the gnocchis so you'll have to get the tricks from her. She made them for Christmas two years ago with a creamy-lemon gorgonzola sauce...AMAZING..and they didn't fall apart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Amy, amazing. I love the look you have created, as well as the idea behind it. I am glad you are following your heart. You are right, grandma's cooking is something to be appreciated. I can't wait to see your new cookbook. Good luck to you and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GO AMY COOKIE!
    YA I KNOW THANKS TO LIN AND I AND TUESDAY YOUR GOING TO BE FAMOUS!!!!!!!!
    O YA AMY NEXT STOP IS HOLLYWOOD FOR YOU! SEE YA THERE! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy - you have inspired my girls to be such great cooks - now the world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ladies! You girls have always been my inspiration! Keep up the cooking...I'm so proud! Love you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. monica, marina and luciaAugust 30, 2010 at 3:26 PM

    Amy, while the girls, Daniel and I have experienced some of your delicious cooking, your blog is equally delightful and for those of you out there that haven't met our wonderful Amy...you get a real "taste" of her on The Local Olive. We can't wait to buy the first copy of your book...or I am sure we will be in waiting in line! So proud of you and enjoying the gorgeous photos and stories!

    ReplyDelete