Friday, March 11

So Fresh and So Clean (Clean)


Welcome!  I know, I've been gone forever it seems but I've been a busy little bee!  For the last month, I've been doing some serious house cleaning.  Well, more like cleansing and as you can see, a little sprucin' up around here, too!  I hope you like it - it's simple and a bit cleaner than before, which seems to be in line with what I've been up to lately....

One of our goals for 2011 was to actually complete a cleanse.  We've embarked on a few crazy ones, and ended up a little worse for the wear.  The goal this time was mainly to purge our lifestyles of all the toxins we've been accumulating over the past year.  If you read my previous post, then you're probably aware that the cookies took control, and it was not a pretty sight, let me tell ya.  We eat pretty well on a regular basis, or at least I thought we did.  We try to stay away from processed foods and eat as much local/organic stuff as we can afford.  But after the 10th batch of cookies were made, it was time for a little rehabilitation.


We're nearing the end of our 21 day cleanse, and I couldn't recommend it more.  Clean, light, so full of energy - this is the way I'm supposed to feel.  My skin is glowing, my eyes are brighter, and I feel amazing!  In a nutshell, this cleanse allows your body to detoxify on it's own and get back to it's working capacity, which has been bogged down by our busy and toxic lives.  And there's a bit of a self-revolution involved when you challenge yourself to something of this nature.  This may sound silly, but it was up there with training for a marathon; it took a lot of patience with myself, and absolute dedication.  Having a sense of humor through the maniacal episodes was key.  Or maybe it was my husband's sense of humor that got me through; a smirk would cross his face as I would have some nasty little outburst that would usually make me laugh and realize maybe I was acting a little crazy.  The two things I've missed the most: (1) Coffee!!  This is one thing I'll have no remorse bringing back into my life.  I literally dream about my steaming cup of coffee with cream and sugar (gasp!).  And (2) cooking/baking!! I am SO ready to get back into the kitchen and start sharing things with you again.  We have just a couple more weeks left of winter (and it's been a looong one) and I can't deprive you of these Ruffo winter classics any longer.

I thought I'd share a recipe that has been a life saver for me throughout this cleanse.  My options have been somewhat limited as I navigate my way through the realm of super healthy foods, and because I haven't been eating much these days, I haven't had much to share.  I found this recipe on Oh She Glows, a blog dedicated to eating healthy.  The gluten-free baked goods caught my attention, but it was love at first sight when I saw this recipe.  If you love basil pesto, you're gonna freak over this.  It's so rich and creamy, you'd swear it was loaded with butter and cream.  Nope.  This has been my dish of indulgence over the past few weeks, and I plan on putting it into regular rotation even when I'm done with the cleanse.



Creamy Avocado Pasta

Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado, pitted
1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
2-3 garlic cloves, to taste 
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup fresh basil or herb of choice (cilantro's yummy too)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta (we've been using brown rice spaghetti)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:
Bring medium size pot of salted water to a boil.  Add pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes (8 minutes for brown rice pasta).

Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.

When pasta is done cooking, drain and place pasta into a large serving bowl.  I like to pour a little olive oil over the brown rice pasta so it isn't so sticky.  Pour sauce over the top and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce.  If using later, place sauce in separate, closed container and refrigerate.  Reheat noodles as needed and add sauce afterwards.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish and you've inspired me to do a cleanse! love you holy

    ReplyDelete