Sunday, December 5

Lemon-Pear Breakfast Bread


As I sit here and write, we're watching the first of the season's snow fall while we sip on our hot, foamy coffee and listen (one of us begrudgingly) to Michael Buble's Holiday radio station on Pandora.  Can a girl get any more sappy?  Probably not, but you should know by now that I am quite the romantic.

For not having an ounce of my Christmas shopping done, I'm feeling peculiarly relaxed.  Peaceful even, and I wonder if it will vanish without a second's notice when I realize just how much I have to do before our trip home for the Holidays.  And then I remember a little chat my Grandma and I had last weekend.  It is no cliche to say how wise this woman is.  I suppose it's my age that allows me to feel such gratitude for her enlightened disposition in life, rather than roll my eyes and wish she were done with the anecdotes and bite size pieces of advice.

We were probably talking about our Thanksgiving that we had 2000 miles away from each other,  when she reminded me that the wisest man that once lived said "simplicity is the essence of life."  And just when I begin to get overwhelmed with all that I should be doing this season, I'm given a little perspective.  A little gem of advice once again, from the wisest woman I know, and that is to place importance on what that really matters.

I know Thanksgiving has passed, but again I find myself especially thankful.  Right now, for Sundays and snow, oh and homemade bread.  Because what's a blog post without a recipe?


Lemon-Pear Breakfast Bread

ingredients:
1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup honey
1 cup pear puree
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 ripe pears, grated

instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brush a 9"x4" pan with oil.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup oil, lemon zest, eggs, honey, pear puree, and poppy seeds.  Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Fold in grated pears.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake until bread is golden brown, slightly cracked on the surface and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 75-85 minutes.  Remove from oven; let stand until cooled completely before serving.

recipe courtesy of O magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment